Intro When you hear someone say they’re eating organic in the United States, what they mean is they’re choosing only to eat agricultural crops that…
Noom Diet Program
Noom is a personalized weight loss app with access to coaching in your pocket! Their habit changing solution includes meal-plans, snacks and exercise tracking designed to fit individual lifestyle. Their custom plans are created using your unique goals and needs, teaching you a lifetime of healthy habits. Take Noom’s 30 second quiz and start your customized plan today!
Through the Noom app, you can get personalized, one-on-one coaching from a health expert, log meals and snacks, record your exercise sessions and track your weight loss progress. Dieters can also access interactive articles, quizzes and the Noom online community for motivation and support. Other Noom benefits include an in-app pedometer and a log for monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar.
Users track what they eat, set goals and record progress through Noom’s mobile app. The app encourages you to set achievable goals and keeps you accountable during the 16-week program.
How does Noom work?
Noom works by motivating you to change your behavior. It starts with a 30-second evaluation to determine your goals and needs. An algorithm then determines your individualized weight loss plan.
Noom dieters don’t have to worry about food exclusions or banned foods. Instead, foods are assigned a color — green, yellow or red — to indicate how much they help you reach your goal.
Foods with the lowest calorie density, highest concentration of nutrients, or both, are considered green. Foods with the highest calorie density, lowest concentration of nutrients, or both, are labeled red, while yellow foods fall in between
The Noom 3 Colour
According to the Noom website, these are examples of foods for each color
Green foods have the least calories and the highest amount of nutrients. Most green foods are vegetables and whole grains. Noom dieters can eat an unlimited amount of green foods.
- Fruits: bananas, apples, strawberries, watermelon, blueberries
- Vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, salad greens, carrots, onions, spinach
- Starchy vegetables: parsnips, beets, sweet potatoes, squash
- Diary: skim milk, non-fat yogurt, non-fat Greek yogurt, non-fat cheese sticks
- Dairy alternatives: unsweetened almond, cashew, or soy milk
- Whole grains: oatmeal, brown rice, whole-grain bread, whole-grain pita, whole-grain pasta, whole-grain tortilla, whole-grain cereals
- Condiments: marinara, salsa, sauerkraut, ketchup, light mayo
- Beverages: unsweetened tea and coffee
Yellow foods are less healthy than green foods but can be enjoyed in moderate proportions. Many yellow foods are starches, lean meats and dairy products.
- Lean meats: grilled chicken, turkey, and lean cuts of beef, pork, and lamb
- Seafood: tuna, salmon, tilapia, scallops
- Dairy: low-fat milk, low-fat cheeses, low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt
- Legumes and seeds: lentils, pinto beans, chickpeas, peas, quinoa, black beans, soy beans
- Grains and grain products: couscous, white rice, white bread, white pasta
- Beverages: diet soda, beer
Red foods are the highest in calories and have the least healthy nutrients. Most red foods are red meats and dessert dishes. Red foods aren’t totally off-limits but should be eaten sparingly.
- Meats: ham, red meats, fried meats, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, hamburgers
- Nuts and nut butters: peanut butter, almond butter, almonds, walnuts
- Desserts and sweets: cake, chocolate, cookies, candy, pastries
- Snack foods: french fries, potato chips, energy and snack bars
- Condiments and toppings: butter, mayonnaise, ranch dressing
- Beverages: wine, juices like orange juice
Noom has two programs: the Healthy Weight Program and the Diabetes Management Program.
The Health Weight Program
The Health Weight Program is made of four stages over 16 weeks: learning, practicing, advanced learning and mastery. Participants receive easy-to-follow tasks and track their progress through the app. Users also benefit from feedback and encouragement from their personal support coach and peers.
The Diabetes Management
The Diabetes Management Program offers similar support but focuses on the carbohydrate content of the foods you consume. The diabetes program is recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which requires programs to meet certain criteria to qualify. These criteria include program participation, curriculum review and other success metrics.
Virtual vs. face-to-face interaction
Noom offers a virtual support team to hold you accountable and assist with goal setting.
All communication with Noom’s health coaches is through a messenger system on the Noom app.
Research has shown that receiving regular health coaching — whether virtually or in person — is effective for weight loss and other health-related goals like stress management
However, you may prefer face-to-face rather than virtual coaching sessions. If this is the case, you might intentionally limit or avoid communication with Noom’s health coaches and thus not experience the program’s full weight loss benefits.
In fact, two studies in people with prediabetes showed that higher engagement with coaches and educational articles in the Noom app was significantly associated with weight loss
Is Noom worth it?
Any reduced-calorie diet plan or program can help you lose weight if you follow it
How can register for Noom
Noom helps you adopt healthy habits so you can lose weight and keep it off. Your program is customized to your goals and fitness needs.
Noom is a weight loss app developed by registered dietitians and nutritionists. Through the app, users can log their meals, snacks and activities and get personalized support.
- Personalized coaching
- Community support
- Inspires healthy eating habits
- Free trial period
- Dieticians aren’t available 24/7
- $45 monthly fee